Notes


Tree:  

Matches 201 to 250 of 1,266

      «Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 26» Next»

 #   Notes   Linked to 
201

Florence was a witness at her aunt Judith's marriage to John Edward Jacombs in Wellington in 1878. 
Lawson, Florence Banks (I3724)
 
202

For a narrative on Boronia Le Goode, see the separate article prepared by Christine Page-Hanify on 24 April 2014 entitled "LE GOODE CRACKNELL and MERK Descendants : The story of my great-grandparents CHARLES JOSEPH LE GOODE and FLORENCE EMILY ROSABELLE MERK, (my Nana’s parents)". 
Le Goode, Boronia Abel McLeod (I1798)
 
203

For a narrative on John Hanify, see the separate article prepared by Christine Page-Hanify on 24 April 2014 entitled "3rd Great-Grandparents John Hanify and Catherine Page". 
Hanify, John (I1699)
 
204

For a narrative on Ruby Le Goode and her husband Frederick Charles Cecil Franz, see the separate article prepared by Christine Page-Hanify on 24 April 2014 entitled "LE GOODE CRACKNELL and MERK Descendants : The story of my great-grandparents CHARLES JOSEPH LE GOODE and FLORENCE EMILY ROSABELLE MERK, (my Nana’s parents)". 
Le Goode, Ruby Florence (I7634)
 
205

Fragments of Hugo's diary dated 24 Jul 1884 survive. A 2-page transcript of the period 21 Oct - 25 Nov 1884 indicates that Hugo started his career in surveying as an assistant to Mr H. Torrey, a licensed surveyor, working from Mr Torrey's camp at Broken Shaft Creek, 4 miles from Orange, NSW. Apart from the surveying work, life was fairly humdrum. The diary included an inventory of stamps of many countries - Hugo may have been a philatelist.

Hugo married Maude Miriam Sinnott on 29 Mar 1891 in Victoria. On his marriage entry his occupation was surveyor, his status bachelor and his usual residence Sydney. Hugo’s brother Frank married Maude’s sister Ellen, also in 1891.

Hugo and Maude initially lived in Sydney, where their first two children were born. He moved to Wellington, New Zealand in 1893 with Maude and their surviving daughter Phyllis. They had four more children in New Zealand. A 'Mr Hanify' was on the ship Hauroto which left Melbourne for Wellington on 25 Apr 1893. His wife and daughter are not with him.

In 1893 he became assistant engineer to the Wellington Drainage Board assisting in the installation of a modern sewerage and drainage system. With the installation of sewerage and drainage system completed, Hugo continued working for the City. In 1895 he was a Drainage Officer.

The State Library of Victoria has 2 photos of Mr Hanify - in May 1899 below Heidelberg Bridge, and in March 1902 on the Warburton River. If this is Hugo (and there are few other likely "Mr Hanify"s) it is unclear why he is back in Victoria at those times.

Occupation - surveyor

In 1903 Hugo left City Engineers Department to start own business at 27a Panama Road as Mr H P Hanify, Registered Surveyor. In 1908 he was appointed engineer to supervise street improvement work by the Miramar Borough Council. In 1921 he returned to Australia to work as a surveyor and civil engineer, and in 1923 he disposed of his Wellington surveying and civil engineering business to a Mr Gandar. In 1929 Hugo (sen) entered into partnership with son Hugo (jun) as H P Hanify and Son, Surveyors and Engineers. He continued to live in Wellington.

He also owned a poultry farm in Parramatta, New South Wales, which was managed by his son Basil in the late 1920s and early 1930s.

At a meeting of the Hutt City Council Northern Community Committee held on Wednesday 13 June 2012 the agenda included provision for a discussion on a name for a new street in a subdivision in Stokes Valley. Among the suggested names was that of ‘Hanify Place’, suggested by the subdivision developer.
The following is the background report provided at the meeting to explain the reasons for this proposed name.

Hanify Place – Significance of the Name
Surveyors have long been integral to the establishment and development of Stokes Valley.
Stokes Valley was named for Robert Stokes, one of the original survey party for the New Zealand Company that arrived in Wellington the 3rd of January 1840 on the ship Cuba.
The party was responsible for the laying out of Stokes Valley thereafter. The original main street pattern remains to this day.
Another notable surveyor was A.H.Bogle, who lived for many years in the area and laid out and surveyed Rawhiti Street and the building sites thereabouts. He dedicated parts of his property to the then council for reserves purposes. Bogle Grove, off George Street is named for him.
H.P.Hanify senior was a noted surveyor and civil engineer in the district from the very early 1900’s. He laid out all the streets and surveyed the whole of the Point Howard suburb, among many others. Stokes Valley was of course in his field of practice. His son H.P.Hanify junior carried on the business, designing subdivisions and carrying out surveys in like manner, until his death in 1968. Bruce Hanify trained with the firm, and has been working in the area since 1955. He has lived in Kairimu Street since 1956 and has practiced on his own behalf since 1960, latterly from Stokes Valley, 1988 until retirement in 2010. He personally designed the roadworks and services, and carried out the survey of the John Street development. He has designed several other smaller projects in Stokes Valley over the years.
A fourth generation Hanify is currently a civil engineer with Cuttris Consultants in Lower Hutt.
Bruce Hanify served for many years on the Stokes Valley School Committee which oversaw the construction of the School Hall in the 1960’s, and was a member of the schools 75th Jubilee committee in 1993. He has been a local Rotarian, and was the backbone of the Stokes Valley Table Tennis Club in its transitions from the R.S.A. hall, to the Community Centre and finally to the Stokes Valley (now Koraunui) school hall.
Bruce had been a brass band player for many years, and played the bugle calls at the Stokes Valley R.S.A. Anzac Day parades for many years.
Note: the Hanify name was not chosen for this new street. Bruce Hanify died on 25 Nov 2012.

Hugo’s wife Maude died in 1904. Hugo remarried in 1916, his second wife was Kathleen Maher.

Hugo died on 1 June 1945 at the age of 80 in Wellington. He was buried on 2 June 1945 at the Karori Cemetery in Wellington. 
Hanify, Hugo James Haren Page (I175)
 
206

Frances Ida (Allingham was her maternal grandmother's maiden name) was the second child of William and Harriet, born in 1893. But hers was a short life - in 1895, aged just 19 months, she drowned in a well on her parents' farm. Her father felt responsible, as he had not got around to making a cover for that well, and it caused him anguish for a long time. Frances Ida is the first Howell known to have been buried in the Silverdale Anglican cemetery. Her grave is not marked. She was to be joined in the years ahead by other Howell family members.
Henry Bartlett, builder in Wainui area 1890s and early 1900s, kept a notebook. On 30 Nov 1895 Bartlett noted "Making coffin for Howels baby".

The Auckland Star of 3 Dec 1895 reported on the coroner's inquest:
A CHILD DROWNED IN A WELL
An inquest was held yesterday at Warkworth, before Mr Thomas Leigh, coroner, respecting the death of an infant son of Mr William Howell, of Upper Waiwera. The evidence went to show that the little fellow followed his mother to the well, and when the latter returned to the house he fell into the well and got drowned. Mrs Howell thought he had followed her back again to the house, as he turned around as if with that intention when she was returning. As soon as she found out that he had not returned also, she went in search and found him at the bottom of the well dead. A verdict was returned of "Accidentally Drowned.
 
Howell, Frances Ida Allingham (I1746)
 
207

Frances Maria Cripps was born in 1807, the first child of David Cripps and Margaret Evans. Her sister Margaret was born about 3 years later.

In 1828 a Miss Millington painted portraits of Frances Maria and Richard Pheney, whom she was to marry two year later. The portrait of Frances was that of a beautiful and refined woman in the early prime of life. Constance Howell described Frances as "beautiful with golden ringlets and delicate colouring". In 1979, Constance wrote "The portraits I mentioned [i.e. Richard and Frances Maria] were about fifteen inches long & hung on the wall in mother's sitting room". Constance's mother, Emma Mildred Pheney, was a granddaughter of Richard and Frances Maria. In Aug 2016, Rex Sinnott donated the portraits to the Alexander Turnbull Library in Wellington, New Zealand.

In 1830 Frances married Richard Pheney. Witnesses at the marriage were her sister Margaret Cripps, her uncle William Pople and Harriet Shephard. Frances' parish at the time of her marriage was given as Paddington, Middlesex; Richard's as St Dunstan in the West, London.

Frances and Richard's marriage was to be short-lived. They had two sons Richard and Frank and a daughter Margaret, and then Frances Maria died 27 April 1835 after a short illness. She was buried the next day (Tuesday 28 April) at 11:30am at Bunhill Fields Cemetery in London. Her daughter Margaret died six months later.

Richard was badly affected by the death of his wife, and eventually lost his business and emigrated to New Zealand. He did not remarry. Richard jnr and Frank were cared for by Richard's half-sister, Miss Neale – the one became a lithographic artist, and the other a printer. 
Cripps, Frances Maria (I1521)
 
208

Frances Mary Howell grew up in Upper Waiwera, and attended school there. She was one of the 44 children who signed at Upper Waiwera School on 20 June 1897, on the occasion of Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee.

Frances's sister Eileen called her "Frank", possibly because she was a bit of a tomboy. She was also known as Fanny.

As a young lady she stayed with her aunt Frances Pheney at Christchurch. There she met William Jacombs; they married in Auckland in 1911, then moved first to Christchurch, then to Wellington, where daughter Natalie was born; then to Palmerston North where Eric was born, and where William worked for Sims-Cooper (a stock firm); and finally settled in Auckland where the twins Pip and Frank were born, and where William worked for Collyer Watson. The family lived at 35 Grange Road (previously occupied by Frances Mary's uncle Bob and aunt Frances), which Natalie remembered well; then 6 Dunedin Street, Ponsonby; then in retirement, Frances and William lived at 243 St Andrews Road, Epsom.

Frances is said to have owned (or William owned) a section on the beach at Palm Beach, Waiheke Island, where they had camping holidays - there were no buildings on it. The section was sold so they could buy another section, at Castor Bay - next to that owned by Pauline Durrieu (known as Aunty Pauline) where the Sinnotts holidayed in the 1950s.

William died at 70, but Frances stayed on at the St Andrews Rd house, caring for her extensive flower and vegetable gardens for many years. She lived her last years at the Jane Cavenie Rest Home in Mt Eden, Auckland. She has a plaque at St Andrews Church in St Andrews Road, Epsom, Auckland. 
Howell, Frances Mary (I1508)
 
209

Frances was a sister of Elizabeth Houston, who married Capt. Walter Synnot. She was the youngest daughter of the late George Houston, Esq., of Heartsford, Rostrevor, Co. Down, according to a marriage notice in the Belfast News-Letter of 21 Dec 1847.

There are various references to Frances as a member of Capt. Synnot's party which emigrated to South Africa in 1820. Some are noted below.

This paragraph is from: https://www.geni.com/projects/1820-Settlers-Synnot-s-Party/13992 :

M.D. Nash 1987 - Settler Handbook

'No. 56 on the Colonial Department list, led by Captain Walter Synnot of Ballywalter, Newtown Hamilton, county Armagh in northern Ireland, an officer of the 89th Regiment on half-pay. Synnot was the second son of a baronet, and was described by Sir Rufane Donkin, the Acting Governor of the Cape, as 'one of the most respectable of all the settlers'. He had first enquired about the possibility of emigrating to the Cape in May 1818, and when the emigration scheme was advertised a year later, he applied at once to take out a proprietary party of 10 labouring families from Armagh, 'all members of the Church of Scotland'. By late October, however, half his party had dropped out, and Synnot was given official permission to replace them with others so long as the number remained the same. Synnot's own family group comprised his 12-year-old son by his first marriage, his second wife and their two small sons (a third, Marcus, was born during the voyage), and Frances Houston, aged 15, a sister (or niece) of Mrs Synnot.'

On 2 Oct 2006, Sue Mackay posted this letter on http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/SOUTH-AFRICA-EASTERN-CAPE/2006-10/1159745287
'1017
Ballywalter
Newtown Hamilton
Ireland
10 October 1819
Sir
I shall be extremely indebted to you if you could place Miss Frances HOUSTON 15 years of age as a member of my family in the place of George HOUSTON whom I mentioned on the face of the return of the persons who
are to accompany me to the Cape of Good Hope. I am also very anxious to know from what port my party are to embark and at what period you are desirous the ships should sail. I have a variety of business to settle and it is of the utmost importance that I should be informed on these heads; but in case these points are not finally arranged your conjecture respecting the time and place etc will lay me under every obligation I have the honour to be Sir,
Your Most Obedient Servant
Walter SYNNOT'
(George Houston, whom Frances replaced on the voyage, has not been identified.)

Frances married Charles Trappes in South Africa in 1825. The marriage notice in the Belfast Commercial Chronicle gives the date as 20 Apr 1825 and the place as Liesbeek's Cottage. A transcription of the marriage entry by the the eGGSA branch of the Genealogical Society of South Africa says:
25 Apr 1825
1825,
Charles Trappes
marital status: bachelor
Esq.
and
Frances Houston
marital status: spinster
The quoted source was 'Cape Town, English Church (from 1847 St George's Cathedral) (Anglican), Cape Town, Western Cape. marriage register, 1811-1839.'

Charles and Frances signed a joint will in 1828, with Frances using her birth name. Charles died three days later.

Frances and her 2 sons left London on 29 Aug 1836, destined for a new life in Tasmania. Her brother-in-law Capt. Walter Synnot and his new wife Mary Jane Mather had arrive in Launceston, Tasmania only 3 days earlier.

Frances married again, in Tasmania to Joshua Fergusson. Frances' mother was Mary Anne Ferguson - just coincidence? 
Houston, Frances (I15110)
 
210

Frances was the first child of Richard Cliff Francis Pheney and Emma Mitchell. She was born on 27 Dec 1856 at Pancras, Marylebone in London. According to her bible, which was "A present from her grandmother Oct 8 1866", she was born at 1:30am. The bible also recorded the births of her siblings:
Emma Mildred, born 8 Oct 1858 at 8:30am;
Catherine born 5 Dec 1861 at 11:30am; and
Robert Francis Vaughan born 22 Oct 1867 at 1pm.
Catherine died in Nov 1863 and was buried at St Pancras cemetery in Camden, London.

Frances appeared in the census in 1861 at 33 Arlington St, Pancras, Marylebone in London with her parents and sister Emma Mildred. She was then 4 years old.

The ship Mary Shepherd left London on 8 November 1866, and arrived in Auckland on 5 March 1867. In the second cabin were R. Pheney, wife and 2 daughters (Frances and Emma Mildred) and Mrs F. Pheney and child (Louise Caroline Emma). The Rangatira sailed on 13 March from Manukau to New Plymouth, arriving on 16 March. Mr and Mrs Pheney and 2 children and Mrs F. Pheney and child were on board, in steerage.

Richard Cliff Francis (‘R. C. F.’) Pheney and his family settled in New Plymouth, but it was not to last for long. R. C. F. died from consumption (tuberculosis) in Oct 1869. This was a turning point for the family, triggering their return to England before eventual re-emigration to New Zealand over a decade later.

On 19 Jan 1870, the s.s. Lord Ashley left New Plymouth heading for Nelson. It arrived on 20 January. On board were Mrs Pheney and 3 children, most likely R. C. F.’s widow Emma with her children Frances, Emma and Robert (born in New Zealand in 1867). This may have been to visit Emma’s sister-in-law Marie Louise Pheney, who was to marry Thomas Larchin in Nelson in Jun 1870.

Frances next appears in the UK census in 1871, after the family returned to England following the death of her father. She was a scholar, aged 14, living with her grandmother Emma Mitchell at 176 Stanhope Street, St Pancras, London. Her brother Robert then aged 3 was there too. Frances was baptised on 3 Jun 1874 at Holy Trinity Church, Marylebone Rd in London. Her sister Emma was baptised at the same time.

As a 20 year old, Frances undertook a journey which must have been a very daring venture for a young woman in those days. She emigrated, unescorted, to New Zealand on the ship Dallam Tower in 1877, arriving in Port Chalmers, Dunedin on 13 Jan 1878; she first stepped ashore on 15 January. Frances kept a diary of her journey - among the highlights were a proposal of marriage (which she promptly but politely declined) and celebrating her 21st birthday on board. Although the marriage proposal may have been rather light-hearted, Frances may have thought back to it in later years, as she never married.

She arrived back at Port Chalmers on the s.s. Taranaki on 19 Feb 1878, from “northern ports”. The purpose of this journey is not known. She also undertook other journeys around New Zealand on coastal ships, as was the usual mode of transport in those days. Some of these are noted below:
Miss Pheney sailed on the s.s. Jane Douglas from the port of Foxton heading for Wellington, 5 May 1880;
Miss Pheney left Lyttelton on the s.s. Penguin on 5 April 1881, and arrived at New Plymouth on 9 April;
Miss Pheney sailed on the s.s. Grafton, arriving at Wellington from Greymouth, Westport and Nelson on 26 Mar 1882;
Miss Pheney sailed on the s.s. Penguin, which arrived at Lyttelton from Manakau and way ports, 9 Jan 1886;
Miss Pheney sailed on the ship Manapouri which arrived at Lyttelton from Wellington on 20 Jul 1886;
She sailed on the s.s. Mararoa from Auckland as a passenger for Lyttelton on 22 Dec 1886;
On 2 Dec 1891, the s.s. Takapuna left Lyttelton for Auckland via Wellington and West Coast ports. Miss Pheney was a passenger to Auckland;
On 14 Jan 1892, the s.s. Takapuna arrived at Lyttelton from Manukau. Miss Pheney was on board;
On 29 Dec 1893, the s.s. Rotomahana left Lyttelton for Sydney via Northern ports. Miss Pheney was a passenger for Wellington. About 2 January 1894, the s.s. Rotomahana arrived at Auckland from Lyttelton, Wellington and Napier. Miss Pheney was on still board;
The s.s. Manapouri left Auckland about 26 January 1894 and arrived in Lyttelton on 30 Jan. Miss Pheney was a passenger to Lyttelton;
On 25 Jun 1896, the s.s. Wakatipu arrived at Lyttelton from Melbourne and Hobart. Miss Pheney was on board.
Miss Pheney travelled from Wellington to Lyttelton on the s.s. Maori, arriving on 5 Dec 1908;
On 16 Dec 1908, the s.s. Maori arrived at Wellington from Lyttelton. Miss Pheney was a passenger;
On 14 Dec 1912, Miss Pheney was listed as a passenger on s.s. Manaia, then at Onerahi after arriving from Auckland.

Frances went to live with her uncle (William Mitchell, involved with Cobb & Co) and aunt in Christchurch. Her aunt has not been positively identified. Frances’ niece Constance Howell said it was “Phemie” (possibly Euphemia) or it may have been Phoebe - William Robert Mitchell and Phoebe Lee married about 1857 in Victoria, Australia.

It is not clear how Frances supported herself, or how long she stayed with the Mitchells. Frances and her brother Robert shared their father’s interest in painting, and when she later moved to Auckland, Frances achieved at least some recognition of her efforts.

Frances was friendly with Lilian and Irma O'Connor, great granddaughters of Edward Gibbon Wakefield, the New Zealand pioneer.

During Frances’ years in Christchurch, she led an active social life, participating in community organisations and assisting in organising public events in 1881–1888. Some of these are noted below.

Exhibitions

In February 1881, Miss Innes and Miss Pheney attended at the New Zealand Industrial Exhibition to deliver exhibits to the Ladies' and Juvenile Courts.

Mrs S. Papprill and Miss Pheney organised the Ladies' Court at the Exhibition in April 1882. The Star reported: "Thanks to the unremitting exertions of Mrs S. Papprill and Miss Pheney, this court is thoroughly ready, and also in a great degree thanks to the tasteful arrangement by those ladies - into whose hands the charge of it was given - it is one of the most interesting and instructive in the building. It is a pity that considerably more space was not at their disposal in order to enable them to display more fully the beauties of the exhibits under their care. The excellence of these, in finish of work, artistic arrangement of colour and elegance of design, is far greater than could have been anticipated, and in the words of one of the promoters of the Exhibition: ‘There are articles in the court that would command prizes and honourable mention in a Paris Exposition.’"

Fetes and Bazaars

A Volunteer Fete was held in the Drill Shed Grounds in November 1885. Miss Pheney was in a group selling fancy articles, among them "wonderful cushions, a carved bedstead by Mr Swinnerton, with two babies in it, and a doll's house whose furniture is made of pins and wool, in a manner curious to see."

In Aug-Nov 1888, Miss Pheney was on a committee of the Volunteers of Canterbury to assist in the work of a Bazaar and Fete to raise funds to repair the Drill Shed and to raise funds for improvements at the Rifle Range.

In Nov 1888, Miss Pheney assisted in setting up a stall at the Volunteer Bazaar for the Christ Church Rifles. The stall was partly fancy articles and partly a large and various display of dolls of all sorts. The latter were present in all costumes, and were daintily and artistically dressed. They included military swells, a bride and bridegroom and ladies and gentlemen in yachting costume.

St John Ambulance

She was a committee member of the St John Ambulance Association in 1886–1905 in Christchurch, and regularly attended committee meetings.

Among the Association’s activities was organising fancy dress balls. The third annual Fancy Dress Ball was held on 26 July 1888. Miss Pheney dressed as a lady of the time of Louis XV.

On 22 Dec 1890 Frances attended a committee meeting of the St John Ambulance Association. On 28 Sep 1891 she attended a special meeting of the Committee of the St John Ambulance Association, with reference to the annual fancy dress ball. She was appointed to the Hall and Decoration Committee.

There was a large attendance at the annual ball on 4 Nov 1891. Among the fancy dress characters was Miss Pheney representing Autumn.

At the annual meeting of the Association on 30 March 1898, Miss Pheney was voted to the chair.

At a committee meeting on 10 July 1905, Miss Pheney referred to complaints regarding the heads of patients being placed under the seat of the driver of the horse ambulance. It was decided that a placard should be placed in the ambulance directing the attendant to place patients in the ambulance feet first.

Literary and musical

Frances was elected as a committee member of the Avonside Literary Association on 7 Mar 1889 in Christchurch.

At a meeting of the Christchurch Motett Society on 3 March 1890, Miss Pheney was elected as a member of the committee. The society had musical interests.

Relief funds

She subscribed to relief funds and other public good purposes in 1891–1915 in Christchurch:
In Jul 1891, Miss Pheney was on the Richmond and Avonside Visiting Committee of the Press Relief Fund. The committees received applications for assistance.

In May 1897, Miss Pheney subscribed to the Hawkes Bay Flood fund. She also made a subscription on behalf of Mrs Cuthbert and the Lancaster Park Trotting Club.

In Apr 1898, she contributed five shillings towards purchasing a full set of brass and reed instruments for the Christchurch Garrison Band.

In Aug 1915, Miss Pheney contributed ten shillings to the Belgian Relief Fund.
She was a member of the Ladies' Sub-Committee (Richmond and Avonside) for poverty relief fund in Jun 1891 in Christchurch.

Celebrations

On 7 Feb 1897, at a meeting of the General Committee for the Record Reigns Celebrations, Miss Pheney was appointed to the Canvassing Committee and the Demonstration Committee. She attended a meeting of the Canvassing Committee on 31 May 1897.
On 31 Mar 1897, Miss Pheney attended a meeting of the Diamond Jubilee Committee. Her uncle W. R. Mitchell was also on the committee.

Gardens

In Sep 1898, Miss Pheney of Richmond was equal second in a garden competition held by the Beautifying Society and the Horticultural Society. In December 1890 she gained awards at a Rose Show - for baskets of roses and a basket of calceolarias. In the Horticultural Society's Garden Competition in Sep 1898, prizes were awarded for the best-kept garden of most pleasing effect. Miss Pheney of Richmond was second equal.

Sporting

Frances also had sporting interests. In Feb 1898, she was deputy-captain of the Richmond Amateur Swimming club. She was a referee at a swim meeting on 10 February. At a meeting of the committee of the club on 2 Dec 1898, Miss Pheney was elected captain.

Move to Auckland

Frances spent the later years of her life in Auckland, firstly at Grange Road, Mt Eden with her brother Robert from about 1914-1919. In the 1928 electoral rolls she was back in Christchurch at Bealey Avenue, and then she moved to the "Maisonette" in Pakuranga/Panmure.

The Auckland Winter Exhibition opened on 4 May 1938. In the "Other tapestry" (tapestry other than pictures) awards, Miss Pheney gained 2nd place. In "any article cross-stitch embroidery", she gained 1st and 3rd place. In "Child's daintiest frock" Miss Pheney gained 3rd place for embroidery work (white).

Frances died on 9 Feb 1939 at the age of 82 at Aratonga Rest Home, Aratonga Avenue, One Tree Hill (from Main Rd, Panmure) in Auckland. The causes of death were myocardial degeneration; hemiplegia; and cerebral thrombosis (2 months). She was buried on 11 Feb 1939 at St Matthias Anglican Cemetery in Panmure. Her will, made on 11 Nov 1931 in Christchurch, was filed at the Supreme Court in Auckland on 22 Mar 1939.

The executors of Frances's will were Emma Mildred Howell (her sister) and Reginald Eugene Booker (solicitor). The estate was shared between her brother Robert (1/3), sister Emma (1/3) and Frances' mother's grandchildren (1/3) (i.e. Emma's children), all of this after minor bequests to siblings and friends Lillian Priscilla Wakefield (100 pounds) and Lillian Hulbert (100 pounds). The estate was valued at £8705/9/8 for the sealing fee on Probate payable to the Supreme Court. This considerable estate was most likely a legacy from her friendship with the Mitchells. 
Pheney, Frances Pople (I1592)
 
211

Frances' death after 1841 was derived from the 1841 census of Hook. She was in the 1841 census but not the 18 51 census of Hook, England. 
Johnson, Frances (I10019)
 
212

Francis Albert Andrewes' wife is described by Joan Hunt in her 2009 register report as "widowed Mrs Anderson". Ada Liticia Andrewes is at the same address as Francis Albert in the 1937 Port Melbourne electoral roll. Ada L. Andrews is buried with Francis at Fawkner Memorial Park. 
Anderson, Ada Liticia (I3541)
 
213

Francis was a farm labourer. Like his brother Leslie, he applied for a pastoral licence in Inangahua in 1908. Both were approved.

He embarked with the New Zealand Expeditionary Force in 1917, serving with the NZ Field Artillery in WW1. Francis survived the war and resumed his farming career.

The Appendices to the Journals of the House of Representatives (1925 and 1928) reported that during the 1920's Francis Pheney Arnold and Thomas Arthur were in partnership as sheep farmers at Lyell. In 1923 they had 130 sheep, in 1924 121 sheep, in 1925 123 sheep and in 1927 111 sheep. By this time, Thomas Arthur appears to have left the farm as the report gives Francis Pheney Arnold only as the owner. 
Arnold, Francis Pheney (I1670)
 
214

Francis's marriage to Joannah Ison may have been his second. Dennis Jacombs' chart is not clear. Francis was the third son of Samuel and Margaret. 
Jacombs, Francis (I2376)
 
215

Frank and Pip were identical twins - Frank was the older. He was also known as Ted.
Frank, like his father, had a good singing voice. He was a boy soprano. Both Pip and Frank were in the All Saints Choir. Frank was to sing a solo at a 3rd form concert (prizegiving?) but that day fell off his bike and into a hedge, suffering some injuries. His mother was very cross, but fixed him up, and he went on to sing anyway - how well he sang is not known.

Pip and Frank were very much alike when young, but as a result of illness Pip stayed an extra year in Standard 2. When he went to Kowhai school for standard 3, the teacher said "what are you doing here, I had you last year!"

The twins did not take advantage of their likeness, and wore name tags to distinguish them. There was one occasion when Pip was supposed to be the top of a pyramid at a gymnastics display, but for some reason could not do it. Ted was drafted in to take his place, the teacher reckoning that no-one could tell the difference.

Pip and Frank were on a World War II Ballot List published on 28 Jun 1944. At that time they were both students living at 6 Dunedin Street, Ponsonby, Auckland.

Frank majored in chemistry at Auckland University, passing his final exams in 1945. He then worked as a chemist in Auckland before travelling the world in his career with Shell Oil, including working at refineries in Malaysia and Rhodesia before his final move to Whangarei as manager at Marsden Point refinery. 
Jacombs, Francis Edward (I273)
 
216

Frederick was the local Wynnum/Manly butcher. 
Uhlmann, Frederick James (I8454)
 
217

Frederick's birth name was Arthur Francis Frederick Synnott, but the name used later in life was Frederick Arthur Francis Synnot. 
Synnot, Frederick Arthur Francis (I9164)
 
218

From The Reece and the Pee families from Shropshire by Alison Honeyfield (compiler), published by Evagean Publishing, Auckland, New Zealand, 1997:

'PEE, Daisy, b. 29.08.1888 m. on 03.12.1923 to RUSSELL, James, b. 27.12.1880.
Daisy m. at the Presbyterian Church, Onehunga. Daisy owned the maternity home in Otahuhu and, when she married, Violet took it over. Tui Larkin's (Daisy's daughter's) half-brother, Morris Russell, was born in Daisy's nursing home 83 years ago and Tui believes that Daisy had the home for at least 9 or 10 years.
After her marriage Daisy moved to Hawera and she and James farmed there for approximately 31 years. When their son-in-law, Norman, was struck down with severe polio they moved to New Plymouth to help Tui. They stayed with her for the remainder of their lives.' 
Pee, Daisy (I14832)
 
219

Geoffrey Clarence was born to Christina Bak on 4 Aug 1917. He took the surname of Hargreaves. Christina had adopted this name from James and Jane Hargreaves who cared for her as a child.

Geoffrey attended Bowling Green Provisional and State Schools at Aramara in 1922. In 1927 he was still there, though the school had been renamed to Aramara State School. In 1928 he attended 2 schools - Yengarie State school at Yengarie, and Coulstoun Lakes State School at Coulston Lakes.

He married Dorothea Maud Creed-Jacobs in 1941. The marriage did not last long, although they had a daughter Carol Ann, born in 1942.

In the 1943 electoral roll, Geoffrey Clarence Hargreaves was at North Aramara, Wide Bay, labourer, and his mother Christina was at Aramara. Dorothea is not on the roll.

Geoffrey was living in Brisbane and Dorothea in Townsville when, on 27 Jun 1944, Geoffrey applied for a passport, This was 3 weeks after D-Day - the Allied invasion of Normandy. It is not known why he applied, or if he used the passport.

The application makes interesting reading, and it also has his photo. Geoffrey was then living at Imperial Terrace, Paddington, Brisbane. He had married Dorothea Jacobs on 21 Apr 1941. Her current address was 78 Sturt Street, Townsville. Geoffrey's father was of British nationality, and had been born at Sydney NSW. Geoffrey was 5 ft 10 inches tall, with blue eyes and brown hair. The application was for a "Passport by Married Man travelling without wife", possibly a category used in wartime. The form included provision for the wife to attach a memorandum giving her consent, but this part is not completed. W. J. McMahon, Field Director APC of the American Red Cross, certified that he/she had known Geoffrey for 1/6 year and vouched for him as a fit and proper person to receive a passport. The Red Cross connection is curious - his wife Dorothea's future husband Pablo de la Rosa had arrived in Australia on a Red Cross hospital ship in Jan 1942.

Dorothea emigrated to the United States, arriving in San Francisco on 2 Dec 1947. She married Pablo in 1947. Carol Ann remained in Queensland.

By 1949, Geoffrey was in Sydney, living at 55 Regent Street, working as a hairdresser. Regent Street is close to the Royal Alexandra Children’s Hospital, commonly known as the Children’s Hospital, when it was at Camperdown. Geoffrey's future wife Cora Joan Wenham trained there as a general nurse. The proximity of their locations is probably how they met.

Geoffrey and Cora married in Sydney in 1952. The witnesses were N. Wenham and D. W. Petersen, the former latter was no doubt a relative of Cora, the latter (Petersen) has not been traced.

Cora qualified on 24 Apr 1952. It appears that she then took her professional qualifications to Queensland, as Geoffrey and Cora were on Brisbane electoral rolls between 1954 and 1968 at Petrie Terrace, Menzies Street, with Geoffrey working as a hairdresser.

Geoffrey reported the death of his mother Christina in 1968. It seems that he knew his mother's pedigree, as he named Julius Jensen Bak and Christina Helena Pohlmann as Christina’s parents.

Geoffrey died on 18 Sep 1969. The causes of death were haemopericardium and gunshot wound of heart (which must have caused haemopericardium - an accumulation of blood within the pericardial sac surrounding the heart). The informant was C. Hargreaves (i.e. Cora). There was no inquest. It appears that Geoffrey committed suicide.
Perhaps Geoffrey could not cope with his mother’s death the year before combined with Cora leaving him - she was living not at Menzies Terrace but at Beatrice Terrace, Ascot when he died, and was described on his death certificate as "ex-wife". 
Hargreaves, Geoffrey Clarence (I7057)
 
220

George (in newspapers as G H Salisbury) was a well-known tenor in Brisbane from the 1880s onwards. He and Luigi Benvenuti were members of the local musical societies. 
Salisbury, George Herbert (I7851)
 
221

George Cook designed and built a bridge in Maryborough, and there is a plaque there with his name on it. He also worked on railways, buildings and sewerage works. When he married Ethel May Page Hanify in 1883 at Bega, in south-east New South Wales, his address was the Department of Roads and Bridges, Sydney. 
Cook, George Eburah (I1852)
 
222

George enlisted for service abroad on 20 Jul 2015. He served in WW1 as a sergeant, no. 3844. in the 11th Australian Field Artillery Brigade, AIF.

George was awarded a Meritorious Service Medal by the Major-General, Commanding 4th Australian Division "for consistent good service and devotion to duty throughout the period 22 September 1917 to 24th February 1918. Throughout the above period and including the operations about PASSCHENDAELE, the care, thoroughness and zeal of this N.C.O. have been invaluable to his unit." At the time his unit was the 41st Battery, attached to the 11th Aust. Field Artillery Brigade Headquarters.

In a Supplement to the London Gazette on 17 Jun 1918, George was in an Australian army list as "3844 Cpl. G. H. Synnot, F. Arty." 
Synnot, George Houston (I9024)
 
223

George Henry Romans was born in New Zealand in 1881. He became a reporter and joined the Morning Herald in Perth in 1902. In 1908 he joined the staff of the West Australian and was Acting Chief of Staff on that newspaper when he left to join the Western Australian Hansard Division as a parliamentary reporter. In 1911 he produced the Handbook of Western Australia which covered the history resources and capabilities of the State. In 1914. He joined Commonwealth Hansard and became Principal Parliamentary Reporter of that department in 1940. He served from 1.12.1940 to 30.11.1946.
In 1948 he recorded a series of talks entitled "Know your Parliament", with each episode addressing an aspect of Parliament or government. The series consists of a bound folder containing seven long-playing gramophone recordings. There are 13 short talks prepared and narrated by George Romans for the Macquarie Broadcasting Service. 
Romans, George Henry (I3109)
 
224

George Mackereth was Parish Clerk from 1785, the date of his father's death. also Parish Clerk.

In 1800 he was living at Knott House, Grasmere, a fine old farm house near the Swann Inn. In 1818 he was still living at Grasmere. Another source for George living at Grasmere was Lance Carthew 1814. 
Mackereth, George (I14635)
 
225

George Romans and Mary Jackson married on 16 Dec 1833. They had 2 daughters - Ann, baptised on 29 Jun 1834 at Cawood, and Mary, baptised on 14 Feb 1836 at Cawood. But only Ann survived - Mary died 31 Mar 1836.

On 27 Feb 1836, 2 weeks after Mary's baptism, George Romans, farm labourer, and 5 others were tried at the County Assizes at Beverley, Yorkshire. George was found guilty of highway robbery and was sentenced to death. The sentence was commuted to transportation for 14 years to Van Dieman's Land, dated 22 May 1837. His prison report said that he was "industrious, sober, good disposition, and character. Believed to be his first offence. His friends are of good character" .

George was received on the prison hulk "Fortitude" at Chatham, Kent on 19 May 1836. He was transported to Tasmania as a convict on the ship Recovery on 1 Jun 1837, along with 283 other convicts. The surgeon's journal recorded him simply as "good". The ship arrived on 8 Oct 1837.

On 5 Feb 1838, he was convicted of disorderly conduct and using abusing (sic) language to a Constable, and was sentenced to 25 lashes.

On 9 Jul 1838, he was again convicted, this time for drunk and disorderly conduct and striking the Constables in the execution of their duty. The punishment was hard labour on the "T Wheel" for 14 days.

On 14 Mar 1839 his sentence was "repd" for being drunk.

In 1840, he was sentenced twice:
- on 6 Aug, for insolence and disobedience of orders (48 hours Cell and retd to his service at the ...more;
- on 12 Nov, absent without leave and gross misconduct (14 days solitary confinement).

In 1841, there were 2 offences:
- on 1 Jun, out after hours and dwelling ina public house (Cell on "B&W" 4 days);
on 15 Sep, larceny under the value of ... (existing sentence of transportation extended 2 years and recommended to be worked on the roads on ...more).

Also in 1841, he was recorded as a convict, working for W. Smith at Campbell Town, Tasmania.

His last recorded offence was in 1843 - he was sentenced on 12 Apr for gross disorderly conduct and insolence to his overseer. The sentence was 14 days solitary confinement.

George was on a list (1849-1851) of "Convict Pardons and Tickets of Leave". The list's column headings are missing, but it appears that he had served 11 years 10 months of his sentence, and had 2 years and 2 months still to serve. The Launceston Examiner of 11 Sep 1852 had a list of expired sentences, from the Hobart Town Gazette of 7 Sep 1852. George Romans (Recovery) was on the list. The expiration is approximately 16 years (i.e. 14 plus 2 years extension) from the date of his trial at Beverley, Yorkshire (27 Feb 1836).

Family sources say that George had a wife in Australia named Ann Gillingham. Convict records give Ann Gillingham's arrival in Tasmania in 1839. An Ann Gillingham aged 23, married a Robert Williams aged 36 on 16 Oct 1843 (source: findmypast.com.au, record set Australian Marriages 1810-1980) and they had 3 children:
Robert born in Hobart district on 12 May 1844;
George born in Hobart district on 29 August 1846 (George Randolph Williams was a miner at Georgetown, Kennedy Qld from 1903 to 1919);
Maria born in Hobart district on 6 January 1850.

Ann's husband Robert died in 1882, so unless they divorced, Ann Gillingham could not have married George Romans, although it is certainly possible that they got together after Robert died. No second marriage for Anne has been found under either Gillingham or Williams.

"Ann Gillingham" may have been Mary Ann Bailey, under her first married name Gilligan. It appears that George and Mary Ann started living together about 1850 at her property Clifton Lodge, near Avoca. Mary Ann's husband James Gilligan had died in 1847, leaving Mary Ann with several young children - 2 daughters and one or more sons. One of the sons was born in 1847, not long after James died, but nothing more is known of this child.

A son, Henry George Romans, was born to Mary Ann Gilligan and George Romans (labourer) in 1851. Mary Ann was the informant, her address was Clifton Lodge. George and Mary Ann had another son , but nothing is known of him.

George and Mary Ann married by license on 26 Jun 1858 at St Thomas' Church (the parish church at Avoca) according to the rites of the United Church of England and Ireland. The celebrant was William Richardson, Chaplain of Avoca, and the witnesses were Eliza Goff and John Urio. George was 43, a farmer, and a bachelor (no doubt his own description - there was no mention of his wife Mary at Cawood, Yorkshire). Mary Ann was 48, a widow and a landholder.

George and Mary Ann continued to live at Clifton Lodge until Mary Ann was committed to the New Norfolk Hospital for the Insane in 1860. There is more detail on the people and events in George and Mary Ann's lives in her narrative.

An article in the Launceston Examiner on 20 Aug 1868 shows another side of George Romans.
'AVOCA POLICE COURT
August 15.
(Before C. A. Parker, Esq., J. P.)
George Romans was charged with unlawfully and maliciously inflicting bodily harm on June Bishop at Avoca, on 9th August inst, Mr Smith, Superintendent of Police, conducted the prosecution. Prisoner was undefended.
The woman Bishop deposed that prisoner broke into her house in the middle of the night, dragged her out of bed, and inflicted the injuries complained of by kicking her on the back, on the hip, and striking her in the face. The prosecutrix admitted that he had been with her on several occasions, and that he had given her plenty of money ; and from her own testimony there is no doubt that she is thoroughly depraved. The medical testimony described the injuries referred to, and the presiding justice committed the prisoner for trial.'

The outcome of the trial is not known.

Marie Romans, granddaughter of George, left some recountings with the family. They included her father (George Henry) being sent to school in Launceston at a young age, his not getting on with his new step mother and his new siblings, and leaving to work mainly in shearing gangs in Australia and NZ at about seventeen years of age. This poses some interesting points:
- George Henry may well have been told his Mother had died, rather than being institutionalised;
- could this new woman / wife of George Romans be Ann Gillingham? No marriage (or divorce of George from Mary Ann) has been found, and in any case Ann's husband Robert was alive until 1882, well after the departure of Henry George as a 17 year old in about 1868. Perhaps the "stepmother" was June Bishop.

In 1887 at Bothwell, George was tried for the offence of uttering and was sentenced to 1 month in prison. A Tasmania Police Gazette of about Oct 1887, page 167, records some details about George in a table headed 'Prisoners discharged from H.M. Gaols and Houses of Correction, Hobart and Launceston, during the Week ending 19 October 1887; Country Districts for the Week ending 15 Oct, 1887' :
Name: Romans, George
Ship: Recovery
Where Tried: Bothwell
When: 14 Sept. '87
Offence: Uttering
Sentence: 1 mth
Native Place: England
Age: 72
Height: 5ft 9 in
Hair: Grey
Remarks: F.S. Scar back left hand

There is currently no information on the later years of George's life, although the death of a George Romans was registered at Tasmania in 1900, and this is assumed to be the same George Romans.

It is unlikely that the reason for George committing robbery in 1836 will ever be known. It certainly blighted his life, and no doubt the life of his first wife Mary and their daughter Ann. At the trial, he was described as sober and industrious. As a convict in Tasmania, he was in trouble a number of times, often relating to being drunk. Although there is no evidence of this behaviour continuing when he was with Mary Ann, she had a serious alcohol problem, which contributed to her being committed to New Norfolk Hospital for the insane, and languishing there for 24 years. During that period, it seems that George got into trouble again, being charged for assault and later (at age 72) spending a month in prison for the offence of uttering.

Just one mistake, and such a harsh penalty ... 
Romans, George (I3165)
 
226

George was a shoemaker. He farmed at Alexandra, now known as Pirongia, in the Waikato. There is a family legend that George had been an officer in the Imperial Army during the Maori Wars. 
Harper, George (I1919)
 
227

George was a taxi driver. He died of cancer aged 49. 
Creamer, Reginald George (I2511)
 
228

George was baptised with his older sister Ellen. 
Mackereth, George (I14657)
 
229

George was the 6th son of Aaron Mason, Esq., of Bagshott, Surrey.

A local history of Hamilton gives an insight into the earlier days of the Mason family in Claudelands:
Betty Laloli Smith "Next Stop - - Claudelands" (B. L. Smith, Hamilton, NZ, abt 2002) page 47:

'MASON AVENUE

As the Mason family owned land surrounding this Avenue it was named for them. I have been reminded that Mason Avenue hasn't got an "S" on the end although at the present time [1999] the street sign says Masons Avenue. This from page 34 - 'Settlers in Depression': George Mason – A nursery gardener, who came to Hamilton in 1874, commenced his business across number one bridge, where some of the lime trees he planted are still growing. In the flood of 1875 he and another man ferried travellers across the number one gully in a Maori canoe, the bridge being far under water.

Grey Street Trees - The large trees in Grey Street Hamilton East, some of which had to be removed in recent years, were all planted about 1875 by the late Mr. George Mason, a Surrey Hills [England] landscape gardener who landed in Auckland in 1863. He had with him Sam Bates, Tom King, Tom Keep, and E.T. Davey. Tom King was chainman to Mr. W.A. Graham, who surveyed Hamilton in 1864.

Mr. Mason established a nursery on a fifty-acre block forming an eminence overlooking the old No. 1 bridge. The eminence was for many years known as Mason's Hill. This area, or part of it, was eventually sold to Mr. Gurnell, and Mr. Mason transferred his nursery to Mason's Avenue, Claudelands, and from this nursery he supplied trees, free, for the beautification of Hamilton.
Mrs. Nancy Mason-Riseborough has lived in Hamilton all her life, mostly in the Claudelands area. Nancy told of how her grandfather's nursery extended from Te Aroha Street to Argyle Street in 1875. In his later years he and his wife shifted to the west side of the river and he is buried in the Whitiora Cemetery, north of the central city. Nancy recalled the often foggy winters and humid summers of the 1930s. She also told me of 1930 when there was snow at Frankton Station! I bet that gave everybody a surprise.

James [Jim] Mason wrote this for the Hamilton East School 1972 Centennial Magazine: "I am the last of a family of ten, all of whom attended the Hamilton East School. The headmaster Mr. Stevens [a very fine upright gentleman] was usually referred to by the younger set as "Percy Edward" and by the older generation as "Lathery" as he was a most loyal and patriotic Britisher. On one occasion Mr. Stevens grabbed me by the coat lapels to stir me into action and as I had a flower fixed with a pin to my lapel the result was a bleeding finger, Mr. Stevens thereupon held his finger up for all the class to see and remarked dramatically "Bleeding for my country!" but I have to record I wasn't sorry for him.

For the first four years that I attended school I crossed over the school gully by way of a wooden traffic bridge, and on one occasion pulled a paling off the school fence then nipped back and dropped it off the bridge into the creek, and continued onto school, but Mr. Stevens had been watching and on my arrival at school introduced me to his cane or as it was commonly known as his "first assistant".

We often went down to the Waikato River to play and to try to swim. At the stem of the old "Rangiriri" on which we used to play was a wooden bridge, and on one occasion one of the boys set this on fire and as the smoke was rising from it another of the lads leaped onto the platform and with outstretched arm began reciting 'The Boy Stood on the Burning Deck' - but that is as far as he got as Mr Stevens with his first assistant arrived and Jim Bartan was treated to another dose of medicine as prescribed by Mr. Stevens.

About 1901 all the pupils of Hamilton East School marched down to Frankton to welcome the Duke and Duchess of York who had arrived in New Zealand on the ship "Ophir" [later to be an escort ship in First World War]. We all cheered and waved Union Jacks and we were all presented with a small souvenir. I remember seeing Richard Seddon come onto the platform and wave his hat, calling for three cheers for the Royal couple. My three children all attended Hamilton East School and my youngest daughter's three children also attended there."

Thanks to Mrs. Nancy Mason Riseborough for the use of the above.'

There is a Mason's Nursery on the Hamilton-Te Awamutu Road near Ohaupo - this is not connected with George Mason.

Nurseries

George placed a notice in the Waikato Times in Jun and Jul 1875 under the heading Hamilton Nursery. George Mason, (late of Mason Bros, Parnell). He "Begs to thank his customers for their liberal support since his location in Waikato. He hereby reminds them and the public generally that the season has now commenced for Planting Trees, &c. Early orders solicited. The stock on hand has been grown at his nursery and is therefore acclimatised. All orders delivered free within 3 miles of Hamilton."

In the 1870s, advertisements for products of George's nursery were generally headed "Waikato Nursery, Hamilton West" under the name of "George Mason (late Mason Bros)". Later advertisements were for the Claudelands Nursery, under George Mason. The other Mason brother was probably his brother James - a James Mason was a nurseryman in the Auckland area.

The general nursery stock for sale were ornamental trees and shrubs, forest, shelter and fruit
trees, flowering shrubs and flowers.

It appears that George sold his Hamilton Nursery operation in Hamilton West in 1880 - house, land and nursery stock were put up for auction on 13 Mar 1880. The property was about 74 acres within one mile of Hamilton, plus 3 acres close to Hamilton Railway Station with frontage to the main road between Hamilton and the station (NZ Herald 12 Mar 1880).

The Parnell nursery continued to operate at least until 1888, when James Mason put up for auction nursery stock plus a large greenhouse, a packing shed, stables and 3 sheds for removal (NZ Herald 11 Aug 1888).

Bankruptcy

George faced financial problems in the early 1880s and again in the 1890s:

In the Waikato Times of 4 Aug 1881 the District Court of Auckland, held at Hamilton, notified that George Mason of Hamilton, nurseryman, had, on 3 August, filed a declaration of inability to meet his engagements with his creditors.

A meeting of George's creditors was held at the Court House, Hamilton on 12 Aug 1881 under the Debtors and Creditors Act 1876. John Knox of Hamilton, storekeeper, was elected trustee of George's estate (Waikato Times 13 Oct 1881).

The Waikato Times of 3 Sep 1881 advised that there was to be a meeting at the Court House of the creditors of the bankrupt estate of George Mason, Hamilton on 7 Sep to pass a resolution that the debtor be discharged. On 16 Sep 1881 an application for discharge from bankruptcy was granted at the District Court in Hamilton (Waikato Times 22 Sep 1881).

On 6 Oct 1894, the Waikato Times carried a notice by J. Lawson, Official Assignee, dated 3 Oct 1894, advising that on that day (3 Oct) George Mason of Claudelands, Kirikiriroa, nurseryman, had been adjudged bankrupt. A meeting of creditors was to be held on 10 Oct in Hamilton.

However, George Mason continued to advertise annual sales of nursery stock in Auckland, at least until 1896 (Auckland Star, 4 Jul 1896).

Electoral rolls

In 1875-1876 George was a market gardener in Auckland, with leasehold property at Parnell and freehold land at Dedwood, later renamed Ponsonby. But he was also the freehold owner of allotments 242 and 243, Pukete (Hamilton). It seems that he was developing the land at Hamilton, while still working in Auckland. A report in the Daily Southern Cross of 30 Jun 1875 by the Hamilton correspondent noted that the nursery of Mr George Mason was in a forward state, and "the improved state of the the ground and the large amount of work done are very creditable to the proprietor".

George moved to Hamilton after marrying Rose in Jan 1875. He was a nurseryman in Hamilton in 1880-1880 and 1891 electoral rolls, and in Paeroa in 1896. The move to Paeroa was likely the result of his bankruptcy 2 years earlier and his break-up with Rose. He may also have had a special affinity for the Paeroa area, as he advertised his nursery products in the Te Aroha News as well as in Hamilton and Auckland. He then moved to Great Barrier Island where he spent the rest of his life. He was a gumdigger in 1900, and then a farmer at Whangapara, as recorded in electoral rolls of 1905-1906, 1911, 1914 and 1919. It is reasonably certain that these electoral roll entries are the same George Mason, as he was bankrupt and would have needed to find work to survive. 
Mason, George Carter (I9256)
 
230

George's birth entry in the Old Parish Records says:
'1430 Stewart George, lawful son of Alexr Stewart farm servant Stewart Place and Jean Baird his spouse, was born 6th and bapt 27th Feby 1831'

In the 1851 census George was at a house known as 'Know Head' in Leadhills, in the household of Andrew Anderson, a master baker employing 2 men. George was a baker journeyman. Also in the household was Dugald Green (age 15), a baker apprentice. 
Stewart, George (I14035)
 
231

George's father is unknown, but it may have been Miguel, as George's oldest son was named Miguel. 
Sinnott, George (I3605)
 
232

Georgiana died when she was 6-7 months old. 
Hesketh, Georgiana (I10124)
 
233

Gerald Francis was only one day old when he died. 
Hanify, Gerald Francis Page (I167)
 
234

Gerald's surname was Page-Hanify while he was in Parliament and is the name recorded in his death entry. When he married in 1886, he was a Hanify. At some stage in his adult life, he must have moved "Page" from forename to surname. His 3 children were born as Hanifys, and the Hanify name was still in use for Kathleen's death index entry in 1891, Cecil's marriage in 1918 and Gerald's marriage in 1929. However the death index entries for Cecil and Gerald, and their wives, was Page-Hanify, and the name survives through their descendants. Christine Page-Hanify (great granddaughter) has confirmed that the Page-Hanify name started with Gerald. The family legend is that Catherine Page (and her sister Bridget and/or Mary) were the last of the Pages and all of their children had Page as their last given name. This tradition was then carried onto their children. Bridget or Mary, who married William Keogh, passed the same tradition on to some, but not all, of her descendants.

It seems the families were in constant contact and shipping records reveal the frequency with which they travelled between Brisbane and Melbourne (and Wellington).
Gerald was a Masonic regalia manufacturer from at least 1905, according to awards, advertisements and a court case recorded in newspapers. His wife Kittie also made regalia - in August 1896, at the Exhibition at Bowen Park, a Mrs Page-Hanify won orders of merit for Oddfellows' regalia in silver and silk and gold.

He was an Australian Labour Party representative in the Legislative Council from 10 Oct 1917 until his death.

In 1921, the Queensland Labour Government went from being a bicameral government (having two legislative houses) to a unicameral government (having one legislative house) by abolishing its Upper House putting it out of step with the other State Governments. This was Australian Labour policy.

A newspaper article noted that the Queensland Labour Government, which had passed a Bill for the abolition of the Legislative Council through both houses of the State Legislature, had been subjected to sharper criticism than the measure itself involved, because this action entailed open defiance of the will of the people as expressed in a referendum instituted by the Royal Labour Government in 1917. On that occasion 179,106 votes were cast against abolition an 116,196 in favour- a majority of 66, 901 against. No fewer than 61 out of the 72 electorates in the State cast an adverse vote. Since then the Legislative Council had been swamped by Labour nominees and there were no legal means of compelling the Government to refer the matter to the people again.
Gerald was one of the oldest Labour members of the Legislative Council, and he attracted considerable attention during the last Parliamentary session during the debate in the upper house on the second reading of the Bill to abolish the Legislative Council. His dramatic statement, "We are doing wrong in passing this Bill!" uttered during the course of debate, was much quoted at the time as an example of the conviction which was borne home in the minds of many members on both sides of the House that Mr Theodore's Government had gone too far in proposing such a drastic revision of the Constitution. Mr Page-Hanify declared that the proposal was entirely opposed to democratic government. He held that if the people voted yes or no on any question submitted to them, until they were given an opportunity to reverse their decision it was a violation of anything they knew or dreamed of in democracy for any legislature to attempt to force it through by direct legislation. The Queensland people, he reminded the House, had voted emphatically against the abolition of the Upper House.
The Legislative Council passed the Bill by 28 votes to 10, Gerald Page-Hanify was the only one of the recent Labour nominees to raise his voice in protest against the measure. It was a lone voice speaking in the wilderness.

Gerald died of a heart attack while in Dalby, Queensland in connection with Masonic matters. At his funeral at his late residence at Wongolea, Lytton Road, Norman Park, Brisbane there was a large and representative attendance. There were members of both the Legislative Council and the Legislative Assembly, and also a large party representing the Order of Good Templars. Flags were flown at half mast on Government buildings on the day of the funeral.

Mr Arthur Coombes, State superintendent of the Queensland Prohibition League said that the loss of Mr Page-Hanify to the temperance cause in Queensland was the heaviest for years. Mr Coombes had been closely associated with Mr Hanify in the temperance cause in the state for over 13 years, and was always impressed by his intense earnestness and passionate sincerity for the cause. To him, he said, more than any other man, belonged the credit for the temperance legislation obtained two years previously. At the last annual meeting of the League Mr Page-Hanify was elected a vice-president to represent the labour section of political life, and his unique work for temperance in the Labour Party, Mr Coombes added, made his loss a calamity to the League.

In a notice in The Brisbane Courier on 27 Nov 1922, Gerald's wife Katherine (Kittie) applied for transmission under his will, dated 15 Aug 1888, of the fee simple estate in a property in South Brisbane. The notice also states that Gerald was a regalia manufacturer, late of East Brisbane.

Obituary in The Church Chronicle 1 Mar 1922

IN MEMORIAM
GERALD PAGE-HANIFY
With a suddenness most distressing to his friends, the death of the Hon. G. Page-Hanify, MLC., occurred at Miles on Saturday, February 11th. He was on tour on Masonic business, and soon after his arrival in Miles was taken ill and quickly lapsed into unconsciousness and passed away. He was born at Aramac, Victoria, in 1860. During a long life in Brisbane he was an active and enthusiastic worker in various civic and philanthropic fields. He was for many years Grand Chief Templar of the I.O.G.T.; and the present success of the Temperance and the Prohibition Movement in Queensland owes much to him. He held high Masonic office. He was a member of the Legislative Council, and some months ago made a speech which created some stir and gave evidence of his strong and sincere character As a Churchman, he was steadfast. For years, when he lived at Arthur Street, Ipswich Road, he was a regular attendant as St Philip's, Thompson Estate, and never missed the morning service. Similarly, when he went to live at East Brisbane and became a member of the Cathedral congregation, he was regularly present at the Holy Eucharist at 9:45. He was a Synodsman, and represented us on Provincial Synod.
In private life he was kindly, sociable, and generous. He was an excellent public speaker, and also a most interesting talker in the home circle. His reading was wide, his imagination powerful but restrained; and his insight into social and political movements was one of the most arresting things in his personality. His family life was most happy, and doubtless to that we may attribute his energy in public work and his unfailing patience under opposition or distraction. Natuurally of a fiery disposition, his innate sense of humour, and a religious conviction - deepening as the days went by into a real sacramental life - kept him unsullied in the midst of strife. May he rest in peace.
We would add that, some years ago, he told us that the desirable end to a keen man was the death in harness.

Obituary: The Brisbane Courier Monday 13 Feb 1922 page 6

Death of Mr Page-Hanify, M.L.C.
Mr G. Page-Hanify, M.L.C., a well-known personality in Masonic circles, and a prominent worker in the cause of temperance, died suddenly from heart failure at Miles early on Saturday evening. The deceased gentleman, who was apparently in good health when he left Brisbane on Friday, was making a tour in connection with Masonic affairs. The late Mr. Page-Hanify was 64 years of age, and was born at Aramac, Victoria. He devoted a large portion of his time in the furtherance of the temperance cause, and was one of the most prominent workers in Queensland.
He was appointed to the Legislative Council about 4 1/2 years ago, and came into prominence last year by reason of his outspoken opposition to the Bill for the abolition of the Upper House. Notwithstanding that he was a nominee of the Caucus Party, he denounced that destructive measure with all the vigour and fluency at his command, and his speeches evoked many tributes to his strength of character.
The Minister for Mines (Mr. A. J. Jones) last night paid testimony to the deceased gentleman's qualities as a man and a Parliamentarian, and on behalf of the Government expressed the deepest sympathy with the relatives. The body was brought to Brisbane last night, and the funeral will take place today at 10:30 a. m. moving from the deceased's late residence to Balimba Cemetery. The Clerk of the Legislative Council last night advised that conveyances for members of the Legislative Council to attend the funeral will be at Parliament House at 10 o'clock this morning. 
Page-Hanify, Gerald Michael (I1760)
 
235

Gertrude died at the age of 2 year and 5 months after falling into a tub of scalding water. 
Pohlmann, Gertrude Lavinia (I7304)
 
236

Gesche was not with her husband Hans on the ship Humboldt when he emigrated from Germany to Australia in 1870. She may have died before then. 
Druve, Gesche (I7092)
 
237

Gladys' father Thomas Runciman had a brother, William Morrison Runciman. William married Violet Mason, daughter of George Mason and Rose Synnot. Rose was an illegitimate daughter of Parker George Synnot of Ballymoyer, County Armagh, Ireland. This establishes a link, albeit very indirect, between the Synnot clan of County Wexford, Ireland, of which Parker was a member, and William Edmund Sinnott of New Zealand, and his descendants. William Edmund's son John Herbert (Jack) married Natalie Jacombs, niece of Gladys' husband Rex. 
Runciman, Gladys Elizabeth (I1598)
 
238

Greg visited William Hockin's citrus orchard property in Perth while on service overseas in World War II. The orchard is now swallowed up in urban development. Greg also met William's 2 daughters Patricia and Suzanne there. He met them again years later when in Australia. In retirement, Greg and Marie lived at 62 Strassburg Stret, Martinborough. 
Aldridge, Gregory Francis (I184)
 
239

Hans emigrated from Hamburg, Germany to Queensland on the ship Humboldt in 1870. He was possibly travelling with Christian J. Walther (26) and Wilhelmina Walther (19) - they are all listed together as assisted passengers. Also on the Humboldt were Hans' nephew Hans Heinrich Pohlmann, his wife Elizabeth (nee Walter) and their two young children. It is not known if there is a connection between Elizabeth and the two Walthers.
Hans (the uncle) lived in Garden Street, Newtown, Maryborough and worked as a labourer. 
Pohlmann, Hans Heinrich (I7091)
 
240

Hans Heinrich was born about 1838 in the duchy of Schleswig Holstein, Denmark, to Jochim Eggert Pohlmann and Elsabe Catherine Mohr. Hans married Elisabeth Walter in Schleswig Holstein, part of which is now in Germany.

On 18 Jul 1870, the couple embarked at Hamburg, Germany on the ship Humboldt, with their children Christina Helena and Marie Elisabeth plus Hans’ brother Johann Heinrich, all with "free passage", bound for Moreton Bay, Queensland. Also on the Humboldt, as an "assisted" passenger was Hans’ uncle Hans Heinrich. On their arrival they all settled in Maryborough, Queensland, with Hans working as a labourer.

On 20 Feb 1873, a son Heinrich Louis was born to Hans and Elisabeth. The child’s life was short, he died 22 Oct 1873 in Maryborough.

On 5 May 1873, Elisabeth died of typhoid fever. Three months later, on 16 Aug 1873, Hans married Johanna Frederic(k)a Rach, in Maryborough. The marriage produced eight children.

Hans Heinrich Pohlmann died 18 Jul 1918 at his residence in Cheapside Street, Maryborough and was interred the following day in Maryborough Cemetery (Plot B941). His obituary was printed in the Maryborough Chronicle on 19 Jul 1918. It reads:

A very old and well known resident of the city in the person of Mr. Hans Heinrich Pohlmann passed away early on Thursday morning in his 81st year. The deceased had been ailing since Monday last. He was born in Denmark and came out to Queensland on the ship Humboldt in the year 1870, landing at Brisbane. He immediately came to Maryborough where he has resided ever since. He leaves a wife and family of seven married daughters to mourn his loss, Viz: Mesdames J. Campbell of Sydney, D. Reid and J. Stephens of Innisfail, A. Judaschefski, G. Pascoe, W. Boswell [sic. Bolwell] and V. Johnstone of Maryborough. His only son pre-deceased him about five years ago. There were two brothers, Jochim and John Henry Pohlmann, both of Yengarie and 18 grandchildren.
The funeral will leave his residence Cheapside Street, this afternoon at 2.30 o’clock.

A sister, Virginia, went to the U.S.A. However, no further information is available on her movements. 
Pohlmann, Hans Heinrich (I7065)
 
241

Hans Heinrich was born in 1773 at Westerwald (possibly Westerwold), Germany. This place is not on the German road atlas. Hans was baptised in Kaltenkirchen, where many Pohlmann ancestors came from, and descendants still live there. Kaltenkirchen is off the autobahn about 30 minutes north of Hamburg, near Barmstedt, Ulzburg, Alveslohe and Henstedt. It seems likely that Westerwald and Kaltenkirchen are in the same area.

Hans was working as a farmhand in 1827 He died impoverished on 16 Oct 1852 and was buried 3 days later. 
Pohlmann, Hans Heinrich (I7094)
 
242

Hariata has been the subject of extensive searches by Rex Sinnott, including government and church archives and NZSG research services. Apart from family records, mainly baptisms of some of her children, no records have been found.

Some family sources claim that her name was Mary, as she had a daughter Mary, and in those days a daughter was named after her mother. Constance Howell remembered her grandfather William, and went to see him in Auckland Hospital in 1905 when he was dying. However Constance, knowing nothing of William's wife, assumed that she had died many years earlier. Lyn Olberg knew her grandfather William, and said that William's wife was Ann. Lyn also wrote that William's wife, said to be part Maori, died young and left Mary to care for her father and brothers.

What we know of the name Harriet comes from the records of family members. The earliest record found so far is in the baptism register of the Northcote Anglican Church, which records the activities of the Reverend Thos Kerr, who apparently travelled in the greater Auckland area. James Howell and Richard Howell were baptised on the same day, 19th November 1865, at the residence of their parents - William and Hariata Howell of Upper Waiwera. Nearly six years later, on son Thomas's baptism entry at Waiwera on 18th June 1871, his parents are given as William and Harriet Howell. The marriage entries for children Mary and Richard give their mother as Harriet Callender (but she is Harriett Callinder on William's and Harriette Gallagher on Thomas's); and is simply Harriet on husband William's death entry. The near-uniformity of these names gives some degree of confidence that her name probably was Hariata (or Harriet) Callender.

Rev Thomas Kerr

The Daily Southern Cross recorded some highlights of Thomas Kerr's career:
on 6 Jun 1865:
'The new Church at O'Neill's Point, North Shore, was opened for Divine service, on Sunday last. Although the day was showery the building was well filled by the settlers of the neighbourhood, and visitors from North Head and the lake. The Rev. Thomas Kerr, the clergyman of the district, conducted the services, and the Rev. B. S. Ashwell, of Taupiri, preached.'

on 10 Nov 1865, it announced the opening of the Provincial Grand Lodge. The officiating clergymen included Rev. Thomas Kerr, of North Shore, who preached the sermon. 'The rev gentleman prefaced his discourse by stating that the duty had devolved upon him that day to inaugurate a work held in the highest esteem by the Masons. It had fallen to his lot to address them as a member of their lodge; and in the absence of any fit and proper person to perform that duty.'

on 23 Dec 1865:
'Those of our readers who feel an interest in the North Shore will be glad to learn that arrangements have been made by the Bishop of New Zealand for holding Divine service in Trinity Church every Sunday. The respected pastor of the district, the Rev. Thomas Kerr, having to minister at several places on the North Shore, and make periodic visits to the Northern settlements, the Rev. B. Y. Ashwell, or the Rev. John Palmer, of the Melanesian mission, will conduct the service in the absence of the regular minister.'

Back to Hariata

On 5th May 1871, a Harriet Howell died at the Provincial Hospital (now Auckland Hospital). She was buried at the Symonds St cemetery the following day. There is no headstone. No family connections are given on death entries before 1875, however Harriet's entry records the occupation of her husband as a Boatsman; William's occupation at this time is not known. The burial record gives Harriet's age as 38, which is consistent with the ages of the 5 Howell children. Also, the same Anglican Minister, Rev E.R. Otway, conducted the burial service as baptised Thomas at Waiwera two years later. The Symonds St cemetery may have been used as the Wade (Silverdale) Anglican cemetery was not in existence in 1871, the earliest known burial there being in 1885. This Harriet is assumed to be Hariata as she is the only known Harriet Howell recorded as dying in the Auckland area at about the period that Hariata most likely died - soon after the birth of her 5th child Thomas in 1868.

Rev Otway

The Rev E. R. Otway was made an officiating minister under the Marriage Act by Gazette notice of 17 Dec 1870, as advised in the New Zealand Herald on 2 Jan 1871. This was well after Hariata had her children, so it is unlikely (though possible) that he married Hariata and William.)

The archive service of the Anglican Diocese of Auckland has advised that Rev. Otway was based at Waiuku when he performed Hariata's burial service on 6 May 1871 and Thomas's baptism on 18 Jun 1871.

Back to Hariata

There is broad agreement that Harriet was at least part-Maori. A photo of daughter Mary as a young woman shows distinctive Maori features, and there is a history of brown-eyed, dark-skinned descendants. There is less agreement on where Harriet came from - there is no sign of the Callender name around Waiwera, or indeed in Rodney County. The far north has been mentioned, as has Tainui, with some stories of a link with Kaiaua on the Firth of Thames. The Ngati Paoa tribe have ancestral links there, and were also involved with the Mahurangi purchase in 1841, when the Government bought a large tract of land which included Waiwera and surrounding districts. The name Hariata (Harriet) is still in use by Ngati Paoa descendants.

Paul Monin's book "Hauraki Contested" (Bridget Williams Books, Wellington, NZ, 2006) is a detailed review of the interaction between Europeans and Maori in the Coromandel area, which ended in the alienation of almost all land occupied or owned by Maori. There are no references to the name "Callendar" or any Maori synonym such as Karena. The closest European name is John Calloway (at pages 157 and 176), who in 1858-1859 built a flour mill for Paora Te Puru at Coromandel. In Feb 1863, Maori from Koputahaki received some compensation through the court (Turton was the resident magistrate) for timber destroyed in a bush fire which had begun at the timber mill of John Calloway. It is not clear if this is the same mill as that built for Paora Te Puru. 
Callendar, Hariata (I1517)
 
243

Harold came from a large family of 14 children, all born in New South Wales - Corowa, Two Mile Creek (Grenfell), Corrimal and Wollongong. Harold was born at Grenfell. It seems that his family knew little about his adult life, as they did not know he was married. Julianne Northfield (nee Smith) in a 1997 letter said that Harold Joseph was born on 25 May 1899 at Quendong (probably a misprint for Grenfell, where the birth was registered according to the NSW Birth Index), and that he died in Wollongong. She had always thought he had never married, but when she got his death certificate, it showed that he was married. Julianne's father and his sister were the informants and said that the name of his wife was Molly Menzies, which turned out to be Anna Caroline Amalia Jensen Menzies. They were married in 1939 (actually 1936) at Hornsby, and Molly must have died after 1945 because she (Julianne) could remember him being back in Wollongong at the time of his mother's death - this was in 1952.

Although Harold had married Anna (Mollie) Menzies nee Bak in 1936, he was living at the same address as Robert Menzies, Mollie's son from her marriage to Andrew Menzies, in Wollongong in 1943. There must have been some ongoing family connection in spite of Harold and Molly living apart - Mollie was still at Buckra St, Turramurra at this time, and Buckra Street is a long way from Wollongong. 
Smith, Harold Joseph (I10132)
 
244

Harriet's surname is spelt "Elingham" on her daughter Harriet's marriage entry.
Harriet is noted on the Index of the First Women Electors in New Zealand (1893) produced by the St John's Branch of the NZ Society of Genealogists for Women's Suffrage Year 1993.
The Silverdale School Jubilee Book notes: "Brunton, Harriet, Wade, Domestic Duties".
The Wainui Historical Society Index to Archives at Silverdale Pioneer Village Museum notes: "Brunton, Harriet, m. Robert; grandmother of Laurie Brunton; a step-sister of the Cosseys of Cosseys Creek, Drury, who came to NZ in 1847." 
Allingham, Harriet (I1743)
 
245

Harry and Mary did not have any children. 
Stubbs, Henry Strawson (I10163)
 
246

Harry was educated at Hawera District High School. He worked in a cheese factory before joining the New Zealand Expeditionary Force to fight in France during World War 1. He was awarded the Victoria Cross for his "most conspicuous bravery, skill and enterprise" east of Gouzeaucourt Wood, France on 12 Sep 1918. Subsequently he worked foor Levin & Co as a traveller for over 40 years. During World War 2 he served as Area Commander Home Guard, Commander No. 47 Air Training Corps. He was a faithful attender of Biennial VC reunions. In London he was presented to HRH The Queen. 
Laurent, Henry John VC (I83)
 
247

He is likely to be the John Druhan recorded in the 1901 census as living in Anne Street, Wexford Town, and working as an apprentice to draper Ellen Devereux - the same trade as his brother Robert. In the 1911 census he is with his father and siblings at Lady's Island.

John died in April 1950. 
Druhan, John Patrick (I4034)
 
248

He is named as Richard fitz William Synot in Synnott Pedigree (1913). This name is used in the family tree, as it is consistent with Burke's Irish Family Records (1976) which names him ‘Richard Synot’, but is more descriptive.

P. Hore Synnott Pedigree (1913) page 6:
Richard married Agnes Rossiter in 1375.
Hore cites Parish Registers Dublin. There is a question mark after this citation, added by either Nicholas Joseph Synnott or Pierce Nicholas Netterville Synnott.

Richard II came to Ireland to put down Gaelic uprisings in 1399; in his absence, Henry of Lancaster seized the English throne. The Irish colony continued to shrink as the Gaelic territory expanded, until the original colony had shrunk to the confines of the English Pale, a small area surrounding Dublin. Wexford was to the south of the Pale, more or less a separate Anglo-Norman-Irish territory.

Richard Synot and Agnes Rossiter had one son, Richard, and possibly another son, Robert. Robert is not in Burke (1976) nor Synnott Pedigree (1913). He is not included in the family tree in spite of there being some evidence for his existence - see below.

Robert is mentioned in Charles Nelson Sinnett in Sinnett Genealogy ...." (1910) at pages 6, 7 in a quotation described as:
‘The following, “Genealogy of the Noble and Ancient Family of Sinnott of Sinnott’s Land in the county of Wexford, Ireland, was copied for this book, with great care, by Walter Synnott Esq. of Orristown, Killinick, County Wexford.’
The relevant text is:
'Sir Richard De La Sinnott, the son [of Sir William], possessed the lands and castle of Ballybrennan. He married Agnes Rossiter, the daughter of Thomas Rossiter, of Ballymacknee Castle, County Wexford. One of his sons Sir Robert De Sinnott, married Joanna Kavanagh, daughter of Donald Kavanagh, of Courtown, County Wexford. He was one of the ancient Irish chieftains, descended from the Kings of Leinster, and by this marriage Sir Robert De Sinnott got the lands of Courtown in the Baronetcy of Gory, County Wexford.' 
fitz William Synot, Richard (I7982)
 
249

He lived at 111 Princes St, Port Melbourne, working as a tin smith and then as a canister maker. 
Andrewes, Francis Albert (I3540)
 
250

He married Mary Meyler about 1833.  They had a large family between about 1834 and 1852.
 
When Robert’s father Michael died in 1832 Robert, as the oldest son, inherited Bunarge.    The Tithe Applotment Books record Robt Sinnott as the occupier of Bonnarge (10 acres) in 1834.

In the Valuation Field Book of 1843, Robert Sinnott was the occupier of the only house at Bunarge. There were no houses at Bush.

In the 1841 census of Ireland,there were 5 males and 4 females at Bunarge.

The "Report of Patrick VAUGHAN, practical Instructor in Agriculture to Wexford Union Agricultural Society" which was published in the Wexford Independent on 14 April 1849 noted this information on Robert:
'Robert SINNOTT, BUNNARGE, holds 10 acres. Had 2 acres of potatoes and no turnips in 1848. Will put down one and a half acres of potatoes and a half acre of mangel wurzel in 1849.'

In the 1851 census, there were 6 males and 6 females at Bunarge.  It is likely that these were mainly Robert and Mary and their children.  Griffith’s Valuation (1853) lists Robert as the occupier of the Bunarge townland (17 acres).

Robert was in contact by letter with his siblings overseas.  Letters still exist that were written to Robert by Michael in 1840 and 1860 and by William in 1849 and 1850.

Robert and Mary’s children were: Mary, Margaret, Catherine, Nicholas Michael (known as Michael), John, Edmund, Ellen, William, Elizabeth (Eliza), Nicholas and Robert.

Mary, Margaret, John, Ellen and (late in life) Michael then Robert married.
 
Edmund went to Australia with William,and worked as a gold miner until his death in 1899. Eliza became a nun, known as Sister Mary Francis.  Nicholas trained to be a priest, but died young in Texas, USA.

In 1864 Robert (senior) was a witness at the marriage of his daughter Margaret to Michael Rossiter of Ballask, Kilmore.  Robert's occupation was given as farmer.

Robert died at Bunarge in 1884 aged 86.  The informant was his son Michael. 
Sinnott, Robert (I73)
 

      «Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 26» Next»